Monday, July 11, 2022

A Sad Anniversary

By Walter F. Roche Jr.

Ten years ago this week, a 70 year-old Florida man collapsed while mowing his lawn. Days later he was dead. But it would be still weeks more before Kenneth Denesha was identified as the first victim of a deadly outbreak that ultimately took over 100 lives and sickened some 800 unsuspecting patients.
Today those that survived, scattered over more than a dozen states, still suffer. At best there are those that say their condition has stabilized. For others it has been much worse.
"All told it has been a terrible 10 years," said Randy Dollyhigh, a Michigan victim. Deneesha, Dollyhigh and hundred of others were injected with a drug contaminated with deadly fungi. They had sought relief from excruciating pain only to come back with even more.
A federal investigation of the company that produced the deadly methylprednisolone acetate led to the conviction of 13 persons connected to the New England Compounding Center. Two of the 13 are now facing second degree murder charges in Michigan. For the survivors, life goes on as does the pain. Nearly all were treated with a powerful anti-fungal drug that comes with its own serious side effects.
Randy Dollyhigh said the anti-fungal, voriconazole, caused his glucose levels to soar. "I had no idea it would do that. I was on the drug for a year and now I am insulin dependent. I was not taking anything for diabetes when this mess started," Dollyhigh said.
"All told it has been a terrible ten years," he said, adding that his pain level has increased. The contaminated drugs injected into his body gave him a stroke and three spinal abscesses. Joan Peay, a Nashville area resident, who suffered two bouts of fungal meningitis, said her biggest continuing problem is a loss of comprehension.
"I usually cannot understand people unless they talk slowly. If they talk too fast or too soft, I have no idea what they have said," Peay said, adding that the condition leaves her with a feeling of isolaion.
"Each Sunday I sit through church and the only one I can understand is our pastor who usually speaks loud and clear," she added.
Peay said her other continuing problem is arachnoiditis, a painful spinal ailment cited by several of the surviving victims. My health and life prior to October 1, 2012 was a very productive one. Now I haven't been able to work since November 8, 2012. My health is horrible, " said Pamela Kidd.
"I live in chronic pain all day long, I have no energy, no motivation at all, actually I feel like a prisoner in my own body. I've gained weight from not being able to walk anymore. I used to walk 2-3 miles a day and ate somewhat healthy. Now I hardly cook, and I used to cook and bake all the time, so I'm not eating healthy much at all, mostly fast food and delivery from restaurants.
My short term memory is terrible."
"I have no friends like I used to, it's like they think they are going to catch it from me," said Kidd.
Kenneth Borton is a victim who feels that while it has not improved his condition has stabilized, in part due to finding a "wonderful doctor" who is treating him and keeping the pain at a tolerable level.
doctor that is treating his pain and keeping it at a tolerable level.
Apart from the physical burdens Borton and his wife Donna say they have been frustrated by a justice syatem "that has been incredibly slow and hugely frustrating."
They were referring to the criminal cases against Barry Cadden and Glenn Chin, the two former pharmacists charged with 13 counts of second degree murder for their roles in causing the outbreak.
The two are expected to go to trial later this year in Livingston County Michigan some ten years after the deadly outbreak. "We would love to see the charges against them move forward," said Donna Borton.
Contact: wfrochejr999@gmail.com

4 comments:

  1. What we went through because of all of this greed is not fair at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is not fair! Especially after the disregard for human life exhibited by Cadden, Chin and Conigliaro!

      Delete
  2. For so many of us the mental part of this horrible disease , poor memory, little comprehension, problem solving abilities is a think if the past prior to these injections.
    I recently had surgery where they took out tissue and it caused a totally different part of my body to have very painful (cysts) abscess.
    We need research in this field.
    I am sure all of us would be willing to participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure would, the short term memory problems, are becoming more of a stressor then the constant physical pain

      Delete