Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Meningitis Outbreak Victims Fund Closed


By Walter F. Roche Jr.

A federally funded program to aid victims of the 2012 fungal meningitis outbreak has ended and some $15 million in unspent funds have been returned to the U.S. Justice Department (DOJ).
The fund, which was administered by the Massachusetts Attorney General's office, issued 642 grants to outbreak victims or their survivors, according to aides to Attorney General Maura T. Healey. A total of more than $23 million was distributed.
The funds were allocated from a federal fund established to benefit crime victims.
The funds were secured largely through the efforts of former Republican U.S. Rep. Mike Bishop, whose Michigan district was the home for a large number of victims.
Healey aides said that under its agreement with the DOJ funds unspent by Sept. 30 of last year had to be returned. Those eligible for the grants were victims and survivors included on a list compiled by DOJ during the criminal investigation of the outbreak.
The program closed on September 30 and the attorney general was unable to take any additional applications or make any additional payments beyond that date, according to a Healey aide.
Grants to victims on the DOJ list were eligible for $25,000 grants while victims who suffered permanent impairments and survivors of victims who died in the outbreak were eligible for another $25,000.
The drugs which sickened the victims in 20 states came from the New England Compounding Center. Three former NECC officials are currently serving federal prison sentences following their conviction on racketeering and mail fraud charges.
NECC's former president and part owner Barry J. Cadden and supervising pharmacist Glenn Chin are also facing second degree murder charges in Michigan. Their case is scheduled to resume next month in Livingston County District Court.
Contact: wfrochejr999@gmail.com














3 comments:

  1. Nice ! They where able to return some of that DOJ money.
    I can never than mike bishop enough for his efforts. It’s kept me in shelter for two years.
    I could never had made to this day with a roof over my head.
    Again my future thanks to NECC it’s owners and stock holders is looking very bleak again. It hard to accept that my life was destroyed, my body ruined. But hey other besides myself got life sentences, not only the illness, but have your future ripped away compounding the constant pain.
    I’m at a loss, to have health, taken away, to be in constant pain, and to everyday wonder, how how much longer can I exist. I’m sorry but quality of life does relate to your health, if there where any doubters, it’s not a theory any longer.
    If this is listed as many don’t, if anyone has any work for a guy who can’t use his arms much, and can’t stand or walk more than ten minutes. Let me know. I’m desperate for employment
    I’m sorry about everything also, can I get a reduced sentence ?
    Sounds like I’m whining, not by intent

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in a wheel chair ..I need a knee replacement but the dr will not do it because hes afraid he will get fungal meningitis..memory loss horrific back pain .I have a grand daughter who asks me to take her outside to play which I cant do ..I'm missing out on so much .it makes me sick i barely can get by living day to day . I'm sorry they weren't sentenced to death. Because they certainly destroyed my life ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Thankful for getting the Funds from Massachusetts but the remainder of the money should have came to us Victims considering it was the FDA who let this Company keep Operating and unfortunately killing over a hundred patients and disabling many more.
    I'm sorry for being harsh but so many lives were affected by these Criminals. Still Angry in TN.

    ReplyDelete